[Haskell] pros and cons of static typing and side effects ?

mt mtvo at info.fundp.ac.be
Wed Aug 10 16:40:39 EDT 2005

[thnk 4 the previous answers !]

Good [morning, afternoon, night],

I try to better understand some things... maybe you can help me.
Id' like to know what are the pros and cons of (not) having static typing.
Same question for (direct support of) side effects.

To help you to find answers, here I quote this page :
          http://paulgraham.com/lispfaq1.html

[Most hackers I know have been disappointed by the ML family. Languages with
static typing would be more suitable if programs were something you thought
of in advance, and then merely translated into code. But that's not how
programs get written.

The inability to have lists of mixed types is a particularly crippling
restriction. It gets in the way of exploratory programming (it's convenient
early on to represent everything as lists), and it means you can't have real
macros.]

Thanks a lot,
minh thu