[Haskell] Re: Partially applied type class functions

Srinivas Nedunuri nedunuri at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 6 10:47:31 EDT 2005

Finally a plain English explanation of the silly thing. Thank you! I tried
reading the Haskell report's version of it, and yes I'm sure it has all the
gory technical details, but at the end I was still left thinking So exactly
what is the monomorphism restriction? Why on earth couldn't they have added
a simple one line explanation like this?

cheers

"Iavor Diatchki" <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5ab17e7905080511062e3797b0 at mail.gmail.com...
Hello,

This is exactly right, you have encountered the 'monomorphism restriction'.
It says that  definitions that do not syntactically look like
functions (i.e. they don't have arguments) should not be overloaded,
unless the programmer provides an explicit type signature.

-Iavor