[Haskell] Rank-N types vs existential types

Andre Pang ozone at algorithm.com.au
Wed Apr 27 07:16:16 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Let's say I have the following two data types:

> {-# OPTIONS_GHC -fglasgow-exts #-}
>
> module RankNVsExists where
>
> data RankN  = RankNEq (forall a. Eq a => a -> a -> Bool)
>             | RankNOrd (forall a. Ord a => a -> a -> Bool)
>
> data Exists = forall a. Eq a => ExistsEq (a -> a -> Bool)
>             | forall a. Ord a => ExistsOrd (a -> a -> Bool)

So, the RankN type uses rank-2 polymorphism to "hide" the expression
inside the type, whereas the Exists type uses existentially quantified
types instead.  The two seem pretty equivalent to me, since the data
constructors have the same type.  However, I can't help but feel that
I'm missing something fundamental about a difference between them.  Are
the two completely isomorphic?  Is there some advantage or disadvantage
to using one over the other?

--
% Andre Pang : trust.in.love.to.save  <http://www.algorithm.com.au/>