[Haskell] [QCQ] Haskell-QuickCheck Questionnaire

Koen Claessen koen at cs.chalmers.se
Wed Sep 29 06:49:57 EDT 2004

Dear Haskell-QuickCheck user,

When John and I published the first paper about QuickCheck
in 2000, we released a Haskell module that was cleary marked
as DRAFT.

Since then, a lot of things have happened; we and other
people have made extensions and improvements to QuickCheck,
but only very few of the extensions are part of the
"standard" distribution of QuickCheck (included in GHC and
Hugs), and none of the improvements.

I am right now in the process of gathering all QuickCheck
extensions and improvements I am aware of, and packaging
them up in a nicely structured and concise way. At the same
time, we are planning to write a new tutorial based on the
new QuickCheck.

In order to do this well, I would like to get your feedback.
If you care about the future of QuickCheck, please take a
moment to fill in the attached questionnaire. In particular,
I would like to know what your typical use of QuickCheck is,
so that I can avoid spending time on making things backwards
compatible if it is not needed.

List of intended includes:

  - testing monadic code
  - automatically shrinking counter examples
  - support for custom counter example callbacks
  - programmable test coverage warnings
  - dealing with exceptions
  - dealing with non-termination
  - automatic coarbitrary instance
  - generic predefined simple test data generators
  - generic default definitions for shrinking

Thank you for your help!
/Koen

----

QuickCheck Questionnaire
========================

Please fill in your answers like this:

  [ ]  becomes  [X]

  ...  becomes  <your answer>

Multiple answers allowed where applicable.

Please send your filled in questionnaires to
koen at cs.chalmers.se. Please include the tag [QCQ] in the
subject of your message. Don't send back your answers later
than Friday, October 8th.

== General =========================================================

*1. How often do you use / have you used QuickCheck?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*2. What Haskell system do you use it with?

[ ] GHC
[ ] GHCi
[ ] Hugs
[ ] NHC
[ ] Other: ...

*3. How often do you use the shell script "quickCheck"?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

== Original QuickCheck module =====================================

(These are questions about functions that might be dropped
from future versions.)

*4. How often do you use the function "check" together with
    your own "Config"?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*5. How often do you use the functions "label", "classify",
    or "trivial"?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*5a. If so, which ones: ...

*6. How often do you use the functions "two", "three",
    or "four"?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*7. How often do you use the function "vector"?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

== Other QuickCheck modules =======================================

*8. How often do you use the module Debug.QuickCheck.Batch?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*9. How often do you use the module Debug.QuickCheck.Utils?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*10. How often do you use the module Debug.QuickCheck.Poly?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

== Debugging tools ================================================

*11. How often do you use HOOD?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*12. How often do you use Hat?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

*13. How often do you use Buddha?

[ ] Never
[ ] A few times
[ ] Often
[ ] I use it in almost all my projects

== Suggestions ===================================================

*14. Please write down if you find there are functions
     typically missing from the current QuickCheck
     distribution:

*15. Please explain typical problems you have or have had
     with QuickCheck and did not know how to solve:

*16. Please suggest any extension that you would like to see
     in QuickCheck (not already mentioned in the "indeded
     includes" list in the e-mail above):

*17. How do you think we should distribute QuickCheck in the
     future? (As an independent library, in the standard
     library tree, ...):

*18. Feel free to write any other comments (positive ones
     are welcome too :-):

Thanks!

Please send your answers to koen at cs.chalmers.se with the tag
[QCQ] in the subject, no later than Friday, October 8th.