[Haskell] What is the best way to write adapters?

Ben_Yu at asc.aon.com Ben_Yu at asc.aon.com
Thu Mar 11 15:03:37 EST 2004

Thanks! Oleg.

This works and it looks nice!

And now, my code can be like:

class FwdSig d where
  (forall a. Sig a => a -> w) -> d -> w

All the types that supports such forwarding are instances of FwdSig.

My Def type is:

instance FwdSig Def where
  fwd f (ClassDef c) = f c
  fwd f (ProtDef p) = f p

instance Sig Def where
  getName = fwd getName
  getMethods = fwd getMethods

My Native type is:

instance FwdSig Native where
  fwd f (NativeSignature s) = f s
  fwd f (NativeProtocol p) = f p

instance Sig Native where
  getName = fwd getName
  getMethods = fwd getMethods

Many annoying forwarding functions are gone.

The only thing that I hope to be better is this "getXXX = fwd getXXX" piece
of code. Is it possible to reuse the same piece of code for both Native and
Def and any other possible types?

Inspired by your generic code, I wrote such thing:

instance FwdSig d => Sig d where
  getName = fwd getName
  getMethods = fwd getMethods

However, my ghc complains about the use of "Sig d".

I followed its recommendation and put -fallow-undecidable-instances flag
with the surprise that the "FwdSig d=>Sig d" instance declaration conflicts
with my other "instance Sig XXX" declarations.

Surely this is not a serious problem, I can live with repeating the
"getXXX=fwd getXXX" several times. Just curious about how further this can
go.

Ben.

oleg at pobox.com@haskell.org on 03/11/2004 01:36:30 PM

Please respond to oleg at pobox.com