[Haskell] modern language design, stone age tools

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Thu Jun 24 04:42:10 EDT 2004

MR K P SCHUPKE <k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

>>Thank you for the programming practice recomendation,

> Sorry if it seemed like that...

Huh - I thought that was sincere; certainly I am happy to learn about
sensible (or not) practices that others find useful.

> but I do feel that 'commercial quality' code should be bullet proof,
> and of a different calibre to code for personal use, or academic
> research.

I'm not so sure adding stuff to handle exceptions/errors is the way to
go.  I've developed 'commercial quality' code (in the 'real world',
too), and the exception handling stuff tended IMO to be extensive,
intrusive, and serving to cover up errors, rather than fix them.

There are just too many things that can conceivably go wrong to adress
them all in advance.

Better programmers than me will probably disagree, but for now I've
filed exception handling together with shared-everything threading
(C/POSIX-style) as too difficult to get right to be worthwhile.

-kzm