[Haskell] modern language design, stone age tools

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Wed Jun 23 03:21:55 EDT 2004

Fergus Henderson <fjh007 at galois.com> writes:

> Seeing as Haskell is apparently such a popular language these days,
> I don't suppose a working debugger would be too much to ask for, would it?

Hah.  You're not supposed to debug, just stare at the code until
you become enlightened (why did you think it was called Buddha,
anyway)? :-)

> I've also tried using ghc's profiling to get stack traces, but that doesn't
> work very well either.

So you know about +RTS -xc.

> Thirdly, profiling seems to be incompatible with the use of ghci; there
> doesn't seem to be any easy way to build a workspace so that you can
> get stack traces and use ghci in that workspace at the same time.

You can compile with: -prof -auto-all -hisuf p.hi -osuf p.o

This will create separate object and interface files for profiling.  I
haven't really tried juggling GHCi in between, but I think it would
ignore those.

(Or did you want GHCi to use the profiling info to get the stack
traces?)

> And ghc is slow enough (even on a 3.2GHz Pentium 4) that recompiling
> the whole workspace is highly unpalettable.

Compile without -O?  Avoid large source files, in particular with
large embedded data structures?  But yes, it's slow.

-kzm