[Haskell] Annoying naming clashes

Ben.Yu at combined.com Ben.Yu at combined.com
Fri Jun 11 19:52:22 EDT 2004

Hi, when writing haskell code. It is so annoying that name clashes keep
happening.

I have to be careful about the data constructor names, about the class
names, about the class member names.

I understand that we can use class to achieve some overloading effect.
However, it does not help with data constructors. And, what's more
important, it looks like Haskell does not allow two classes sharing methods
of the same name.

And that is something I deemed the most annoying.

No matter how powerful type class is compared to Java interfaces, the
naming problem just makes it so inconvinient.

I'm a programmer who can be so easily affected by ethetics of the program.
And when I have to keep worrying about "should I use this name? it may have
been used in a similar class", the precious peace in mind is gone.

As a novice haskell programmer, I might be missing something here though.
If somebody can kindly give me some instruction of how to work with names,
appreicate it a lot!

Ben.

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information
that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of
delivery to the addressee. If you have received this email in error, please
delete and advise us immediately.