[Haskell] Idea for the Haskell Store

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Jun 2 12:15:00 EDT 2004

There are a lot of very good books and papers out there on haskell or
related topics which are no longer in print or not convieniently available in
paper form to people without university access.

I was thinking it would be very very cool if we could sign up with one
of the POD (Print on demand) services to offer useful books and
collections of papers printed on demand for haskell enthusiasts. A
print on demand publisher works just like amazon or any other online
bookseller, but actually prints out the books as needed so can deal
just as effectivly with small orders as big ones, modern technology has
made the cost comparable to traditional mass-produced books and an order
of magnitude better quality and cost over getting the stuff printed and
bound at kinkos or similar.

some things which I would LOVE to see offered would be stuff like

http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~boquist/phd/index.html
peyton jones's thesis on GHC optimization
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Research/Logic/book/
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/
various collections of papers by author phillip wadler, simon peyton
jones, simon marlow, etc..  or based on topics like 'the monad papers'
or 'generic haskell anthology' or 'a tale of ten pretty printers'

any other ideas?

There will probably be some copyright issues to work out, but anything
would be great. It could be done non-profit or having the profit flow
back to the authors or into the maintenence of the haskell site or other
worthy haskell projects (or decided on a book-by-book basis I imagine)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈