[Haskell] Gallopping Tab characters

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Jan 26 17:03:23 EST 2004

George Russell wrote:

> > The most flexible but safe solution is to simply define the indentation
> > as the sequence of indentation characters used. Two consecutive lines
> > are indented consistently whenever one indentation is a prefix of the
> > other. Hence you may freely mix different indentation characters, but
> > you must be consistent across lines. Any decent editor should be
> able to
> > ensure that.
>
> Well no they won't, because some editors might replace blocks of 8 spaces
> at the start of a line with TABs (or something like that), meaning that
> 8 and 7 spaces would go to "\t" and "       ", which your algorithm would
> reject.

If the editor does the replacement consistently everywhere (like I would
expect) then it would not change the meaning of a "well-indented" program.

    - Andreas

Andreas Rossberg, rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac Man affected us
 as kids, we would all be running around in darkened rooms, munching
 magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music."
 - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc.