[Haskell] Re: Use of tab characters in indentation-sensitive code

David Bergman davidb at home.se
Sun Jan 25 20:44:35 EST 2004

Sebastian wrote:

> Sean L. Palmer wrote:
>
> > Besides, the idea would be not to use &nbsp, but rather
> some "indent
> > paragraph" tag.
>
> This is kind-of a cool idea. If I ever take a course involving writing
> my own language I'll be sure to incorporate this idea.

This idea of an indent paragraph tag has been incorporated in various
development environments and, partly, in languages. It is called the tab
character. Environments such as Emacs can be trained to treat those tab
characters as an indentation tag. And even in word processing this tagging
character has been used quite extensively.

:-|

/David