[Haskell] Re: sizeFM type

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Tue Apr 27 09:49:15 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:09:18PM +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:
> "Serge D. Mechveliani" <mechvel at botik.ru> writes:
>
> > Alexander is right.
> >
> > Also as  Integer  has more sense than  Int,
> > I would suggest for the future standard Haskell library to have
> > Integer as default. For example:
> >                                 length      :: [a] -> Integer
> >                                 smallLength :: [a] -> Int
>
> Hmm...isn't it possible to use a class here?  Perhaps even Num?
>
>     class Num a where ....
>         :
>         length :: [b] -> a
>         :

I think, for many functions, like  length,  it is most natural to
return  Integer  only.
And it is also natural for many instances (domains) D to provide
maps like  toInteger, fromInteger.
Just follow mathematics.

Example:           length xs                :: (Rational, Rational)
looks unnatural,
but                fromInteger (length xs)  :: (Rational, Rational)
looks natural.

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru