[Haskell] Re: sizeFM type

Don Groves dgroves at ccwebster.net
Mon Apr 26 12:45:04 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:20:10 +0200, Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> wrote:

> Perhaps one could drop the Int/Integer distinction altogether if there was
> a global switch for what "Int" should mean. But separate compilation and the
> FFI would complicate things quite a bit then, I guess.

Hello, Haskell newbie here.

Some languages handle the Int/Integer question automatically,
determined by the size of the integer in question.  Int is used
until the integer excedes what the underlying architecture can
handle, then the switch is made to Integer (bignum).  Is this
something that could be handled similarly by the Haskell compiler
without violating anything?  Just thinking out loud...
--
Don Groves