The Future of Haskell discussion at the Haskell Workshop

Adrian Hey ahey@iee.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:10:14 +0100

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 04:54, Andrew J Bromage wrote:
> G'day all.
>
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:52:48PM +0200, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> > but this might be an issue for others, who have to maintain "legacy"
> > code.
>
> You know a language has made it when we're talking about "legacy" code.
>
> On the other hand, you have to worry about a pure declarative language
> where support for anything "legacy" is a priority.  Just a little bit.

On reflection, I can think of one group of Haskellers who might get
a bit upset by such changes. If I'd written (or purchased) a text book
which was now full of obsoleted code examples I wouldn't be very happy.
But I guess it would be possible to do something too suit users of "old"
and "new" Haskell with suitably chosen pragmas or compiler switches without
too much difficulty.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey