need some info/help

Brett G. Giles gilesb@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 06:52:05 -0600 (MDT)

Naturally, there are many great resources for this at www.haskell.org

Ensure you check out both Alex and Happy for the parsing and sourcing.
(note that Alex is currently being re-written, I'm not sure if the latest
public version has the new format/syntax)

Also, there are a variety of compiler help tools there such as bases for
symbol tables and so forth.

An excellent resource for anyone writing a compiler in a functional
language is

   "Modern Compiler Implementation in ML" by Andrew Appel

See http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/modern/ml/ for a bit of information.

Although it is directed at ML (and Ml-lex and ml-yacc) it has great
information about the functional way of approaching this.

Finally, note that ML above is not a pure functional language. As such,
you do get to (cheat and use :) state. I have found that I've needed a
variety of state monads while doing compiler writing in Haskell.

Good luck and have fun.