forkIO implemenation

Derek Elkins ddarius at hotpop.com
Fri Oct 17 00:15:17 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:31:26 -0400
"Feingold, Jason (WingspanTech)" <jfeing at Wingspantech.com> wrote:

[You may want to set your email program to wrap lines on sending and
send just plain-text.]

> I infer from a discussion from March 2002 that concurrency in Haskell
> is not implemented in native threads, at least in Windows.  Is this
> true?

Yes, for at least Hugs and GHC, for the most part.

> The reason I ask is that when I forkIO and accept from a socket in the
> new thread everything seems blocked.  Is this the expected behavior?

Depends on what implementation and version you are using (which you
didn't mention). I assume you are using GHC5, in which case the Windows
socket binding is blocking. This is apparently fixed in GHC6.