Why are strings linked lists?

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Sat Nov 29 11:10:42 EST 2003

Am Freitag, 28. November 2003 22:21 schrieb Glynn Clements:
> [...]

> > What do you mean with this? Hopefully, not dropping Unicode support
> > because this would be a very bad idea, IMHO.
>
> What Unicode support?
>
> Simply claiming that values of type Char are Unicode characters doesn't make
> it so.

You have the possibility to store Unicode codepoints as values of type Char in
GHC. This is a a little Unicode support which you don't have with 8-bit
chars.

> [...]

> Right now, values of type Char are, in reality, ISO Latin-1 codepoints
> padded out to 4 bytes per char.

No, because this would mean that you wouldn't have chars with codes greater
than 255 which is not the case with GHC.

> [...]

But, of course, I agree with you that currently the main part of Unicode
support is missing.

Wolfgang