Why are strings linked lists?

ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Sat Nov 29 09:54:07 EST 2003

Lennart Augustsson <lennart at augustsson.net> writes:

> Glynn Clements wrote:
>> What Unicode support?

>> Simply claiming that values of type Char are Unicode characters
>> doesn't make it so.

> Just because some implementations lack toUpper etc. doesn't mean
> they all do.

I think the point is that for toUpper etc to be properly Unicoded,
they can't simply look at a single character.  IIRC, there are some
characters that expand to two characters when the case is changed, and
then there's titlecase and so on.

toUpper etc. are AFAIK only implemented correctly for a small (but
IMHO probably the useful) subset of characters.

> Hbc has had those implemented for maybe 10 years.

I must admit I haven't looked at HBC -- are these functions
implemented properly for codepoints >127?  Outside the ISO-8859-x
ranges?

-kzm