Generic Haskell Diffs?

Ralf Laemmel Ralf.Laemmel at cwi.nl
Fri Nov 14 12:08:52 EST 2003

Markus.Schnell at infineon.com wrote:

>According to the communities report there are different
>generic haskell projects (Jeuring/Hinze and PJ/Lämmel) out there.
>But I don't understand their relation.
>Can you use both at the same time?
>Is one building on the other?
>Are there adressing different issues?
>
>A clarifying sentence or two would be heartily welcome.

There is just one Generic Haskell project
even though the actual language extension is a moving target of course
because this is an active project.

The boilerplate approach is about lightweight generic programming IN
Haskell.
The fact that the boilerplate approach is supported by GHC is very, very
convenient, but in a sense optional: in principle, you could write
Typeable and Data
instances yourself, and you could still leverage generic programming in
Haskell. Anyway, some more information can be found on the boilerplate
page.

Using both approaches together would be quite cool!?!
There is no technical reason why this would be impossible.
But it is certainly not the case that the two approaches are complementary.
They overlap quite a bit. The boilerplate approach tries to be easy in the
traversal arena. In the literature, there are some comments on how these and
other approaches relate. I would still find it interesting to see a
survey that
works through some examples and compares the two approaches and others.

Ralf