Question about how GUM works

Yang, Qing qing.yang at intel.com
Wed Nov 12 16:36:57 EST 2003

Hi All,

I have a question about GUM - the runtime system for Parallel Haskell.
There are below words in the paper addressing GUM architecture:
"The first action of GUM program is to create a PVM manager task, whose
job is to control startup and termination. The manager spawns the
required number of logical PEs as PVM tasks, which PVM maps to the
available processors."

So my question is how many PEs the PVM mamager task will spawn? The
number is accordant with the processor number or determined by some
other things? And will the number of PEs be changed during the execution
of the program or not?

Thanks,

Qing Yang
qing.yang at intel.com