Context not part of a function definition?

Graham Klyne gk@ninebynine.org
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:36:58 +0000

At 16:50 17/03/2003 +1100, Bernard James POPE wrote:
>You have struck the monomorphism restriction.
>
>See:
>http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/haskell98-revised/haskell98-report-html/decls.html#sect4.5.5
>
>This is an often tripped over snag in Haskell 98's type system.

Ah, thanks.  I'd read that, but didn't understand it's relevance.

(I'm still not sure I do:  I guess the key gothcha here is the bit about
[[
Any monomorphic type variables that remain when type inference for an
entire module is complete, are considered ambiguous, and are resolved to
particular types using the defaulting rules ...
]]
meaning that a definition may need further qualification in different
environments?)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>