Happy Alex

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:01:37 -0000

> I have successfully used the the excellent haskell tools=20
> Happy and Alex in a=20
> couple of parsing projects, but I have failed when trying to =20
> combine a=20
> monadic Happy grammar (using the %monad and %lexer=20
> directives) together with=20
> an Alex generated okenizer, nor are there any such examples=20
> in the Happy and=20
> Alex distributions. Have anyone tried this combination and=20
> can give me some=20
> advice or a simple example?

I've been doing some work on Alex recently, and getting it to work
smoothly with Happy's monadic scheme is one of the goals.  I'll post
something when it's done, but if you want to have a look at the
work-in-progress look in the CVS tree, under fptools/happy/alex on the
branch simonm-hackery-branch.

The other things I'm doing include making Alex's syntax more lex-like
and Happy-like (mostly done), making the generated code more efficient
in terms of both space and time (mostly done), and adding support for
Unicode (not done, I'm still thinking about how best to do this - I have
some ideas but suggestions are welcome).

Cheers,
	Simon