profiling problems

Damien R. Sullivan dasulliv@cs.indiana.edu
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:46:44 -0500

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:12:23PM -0800, Hal Daume III wrote:

> My guess is that the error is here.  There's a bug in ghc where (x `div`
> 0) and (x `mod` 0) will results in a seg fault.  For now (according to one
> of the Simons, this is fixed in the next version) you should do something

Doesn't help.  I didn't expect it to -- my code shouldn't be divving by zero,
and anyway the bus error happens *immediately* on startup, whereas it wouldn't
call floatRat for half a minute if it were working.

> If that doesn't fix the problem, perhaps you can try to whittle the
> example down to something shorter.

The first code I posted was my shorter attempt.  At any rate, it's hard to
pull stuff out of this and still have it work.  And I've had versions which
did compile with profiling when the version before or after wouldn't.  This
one doesn't, on my Sun.  Does on the Linux box...

-xx- Damien X-)