[OT] Teaching Haskell in High School

Arjan van IJzendoorn afie@cs.uu.nl
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 00:58:40 +0100

Hello again,

Kevin suggested:

> Then you should have set the language to "Beginning Student" or
> "Beginning Student with List Abbreviations".

You're right. That makes the messages much better. I switched to 'Advanced'
level because I thought that something was possibly not accepted because it
was too difficult. My fault.

Wolfgang asked:

> > [...logging facility in Helium...]
> Do you tell your students about the existence of this facility?

We certainly do. They don't seem to mind; I even feel that they think it's
nice to help research.

> I just have had a look at Helium and think that at least a deriving
mechanism
> is absolutely needed.

There is 'show' function for each data type you write down. Eq and Ord are
not generated but we will do that; we will need it anyway for our simple
class system.

> Furthermore, I think, the need to state
> equality functions explicitely as paramters of certain functions makes
> learning harder and not easier.

I don't know. Could be. We'll probably provide two different Preludes, one
with and one without overloading. This would compare to the language levels
in DrScheme. A lot is possible in this area.

> But it's an interesting project. Keep going on it.

Don't worry. We just started...

Cheers, Arjan