ANNOUNCE: Helium, for learning Haskell

Richard Uhtenwoldt ru@river.org
Sun, 02 Feb 2003 06:46:43 -0800

Instructions for installing Helium 1.0 on Debian GNU/Linux.
I'm on version 3.0 of Debian, a.k.a, Woody.
I'm just a user of, not an expert on Debian.

    1. apt-get install ghc5 libreadline4 libreadline4-dev
       # Optionally, get some documentation for GHC; libsrc is source code
       # for the libraries, which are useful documentation:
       apt-get install ghc5-doc ghc5-libsrc
    2. Download and unpack helium.tar.gz (640Kb)
    3. cd lvm/src
       ./configure
       cd ../..
       cd heliumNT
       ./configure
       cd src
       make depend
       make
       # Now, become root somehow.
       make install
    4. Add the following lines to your ~/.profile file:
       export TEMP=/tmp
       export LVMPATH=/usr/local/helium/lib
       PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
    5. Test the installation as follows:
       # To put into effect the changes to your ~/.profile, start a new
       # shell or issue the following command in an existing shell:
       exec bash --login
       cd /usr/local/helium/demo
       helium Calendar.hs
       lvmrun Calendar.lvm
       # Enter a year.
       # If the calendar for that year appears, installation was successful.

Unfortunately, readline history and line-editing commands
do not work at the /usr/local/bin/hi prompt.
One would think they would because before I had readline-dev installed
Helium refused to build.  Oh well!