How to make reading an array from disk more efficient

Tomasz Zielonka t.zielonka at students.mimuw.edu.pl
Thu Dec 25 22:46:25 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 02:53:00PM -0500, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
> I must say, this sort of reply is EXTREMELY DISTURBING.

Why are you shouting?

I find your reply EXTREMELY UNHELPFUL.

> It is ridiculous that one needs to get so intimate
> with implementation issues just to read a file!

Its quite easy to read a file, but it can be difficult to handle big
files efficiently. Been there, done that, been satisfied with the
results.

> Is this inherent in Haskell or is it just that no
> one has bothered to create a the Haskell
> equivalent of BufferedReader?
> <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/io/BufferedReader.html>

Handles are buffered by default. It's not the case here. There are other
factors involved (eg. laziness, ineffective file format).

> And if so, is there something about Haskell that
> makes a Haskell implementation of such a lib
> difficult?

Not really.

Tom.

--
.signature: Too many levels of symbolic links