How to make reading an array from disk more efficient

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Wed Dec 24 19:01:11 EST 2003

Thanks.  I should have added that I will only use the array for reading
once it's created.  I don't mind whether creating is lazy or eager (it's
currently eager because I was fighting a space leak, but I think that was
down to some other error).

I don't fully understand how either of the suggestions you make will speed
up creation, though (I guess allocating less memory is faster).  I'm
looking for a factor of tens of thousands improvement.  But I will try
what you suggest.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS Thanks for the very speedy reply and thanks to whoever maintains the
list archive for updating the archive for each message (I'm pretty sure it
used to be made daily, which was a nuisance if you wanted to forward URLs
to interesting discussions).

--
personal web site: http://www.acooke.org/andrew
personal mail list: http://www.acooke.org/andrew/compute.html