Perspectives on learning and using Haskell

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Tue Dec 23 17:26:20 EST 2003

I've spent part of the past few months learning Haskell and developing a
moderately sized application.  I came to this from a long background (20
years or so) of "conventional" programming in a variety of languages (from
Fortran and Algol W to Java and Python).  For me, learning Haskell has been
one of the steepest learning curves of any new language that I have ever
learned.  Before this project, I was aware of some aspects of functional
programming, but had never previously done any "in anger" (i.e. for real).

Throughout this period, I've been accumulating some notes about some things
that I found challenging along the way.  The notes are not organized in any
way, and they're certainly not complete.  I've published them on my web
site [1] in case the perspective might be useful to any "old hands" here.

[1] http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/Learning-Haskell-Notes.html

Also on the topic of perspectives:

In recent conversation with a colleague, he mentioned to me that the term
"functional programming" has an image problem.  He suggested that the term
conveys an impression of an approach that is staid, non-progressive or
lacking novelty, and is prone to elicit a response of "been there, done
that" from programmers who don't realize the full significance of the term
"functional".  I've also noticed that when I talk about "functional
programming", some people tend to think I'm talking about using techniques
like functions in C or Pascal (which is course is very desirable, but old
hat and not worthy of great excitement).

#g