Installation problem on suse 9.0.

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Dec 19 10:11:16 EST 2003

gustavov:
> before nothing, THANKS Simon. I have begun the ghc installation
> process from the 4.08.2 version. By other side, the suse 9.0
> comes with gcc 3.3.1-24.
> thanks again,
> gustavo
>
> Simon Marlow said:
> > [ moved to glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org ]
> >
> >> i have running ghc on suse 7.3, but i can't install it on
> >> suse 9.0. the
> >> next error is raising during the HC files compilation:
> >>
> >> --------------------------------------------
> >> CTypes.hc:55265: warning: (near initialization for
> >> `CTypes_tpl890_closure.payload') CTypes.hc:55297: warning: excess
> >> elements in array initializer
> >> CTypes.hc:55297: warning: (near initialization for
> >> `CTypes_tpl891_closure.payload') CTypes.hc:55324: warning: excess
> >> elements in array initializer
> >> CTypes.hc:55324: warning: (near initialization for
> >> `CTypes_zdfReadCChar_closure.payload') CTypes.hc:55324:
> >> warning: excess
> >> elements in array initializer
> >> CTypes.hc:55324: warning: (near initialization for
> >> `CTypes_zdfReadCChar_closure.payload') CTypes.hc:55324:
> >> warning: excess
> >> elements in array initializer
> >> CTypes.hc:55324: warning: (near initialization for
> >> `CTypes_zdfReadCChar_closure.payload') Prologue junk?: czvw_ret:
> >>         movl    $0, 16(%esp)
> >>         movl    $0, 20(%esp)
> >>         movl    $0, 8(%esp)
> >>         movl    $0, 12(%esp)
> >>
> >> gmake[2]: *** [CTypes.o] Error 255
> >> gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> >> gmake: *** [all] Error 1
> >
> > Which GHC version are you compiling?  Which GHC vesrion are you using
> > to compile it?  It might be related to a newer version of gcc: what
> > version is installed on your system?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > 	Simon

If possible, try to use a GHC binary distribution, as installing from
source can be quite difficult. Also, 4.08.2 is quite old now, and
probably doesn't work well with gcc 3.x.

So, if at all unsure, try using a binary distribution before compiling
up from .hc source. There are RPMs available for SuSE for at least
version 5.02.3.

-- Don