haddock (and -- $)

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Dec 18 11:56:34 EST 2003

hello. a few comments and questions on haddock (www.haskell.org/haddock/)

1. haddock is great

2. haddock's interpretation of "-- $" is un-great:

I have two types of "-- $" occurences in my code
that conflict with haddock's idea of "named doc chunks"

a. CVS macros: -- $Id: ...$

b. pipes like this, with some lines commented out:

let x = this_function
       $ that_function
       -- $ but_not_this
       $ arg

3. how can I refer to external system libraries documentation
    (i. e. Data.FiniteMap from the ghc web site)?

4. haddock does not seem to understand cpp #ifdefs.
    how can I work around this? (I know I shouldn't use cpp
    in the first place, but I want to document existing code,
    and not rewrite it just to make the doc tool happy :-)

again, haddock is great.
even running it on the code as-is (without any annotations)
gives nice interface documentation, indexing and cross-refs.
--
-- Johannes Waldmann,  Tel/Fax: (0341) 3076 6479 / 6480 --
------ http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ ---------