type classes, superclass of different kind

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Dec 11 14:13:14 EST 2003

Robert Will wrote:

> Note that in an OO programming language with generic classes ...

> (We shouldn't make our functional designs more different from the OO ones,
 > than they need to be.)

why should *we* care :-)

more often than not, OO design is resticted and misleading.

you see how most OO languages jump through funny hoops (in this case,
generics) because they just lack proper higher-order types.

good luck with your library. but make sure you study existing (FP)
designs, e. g. Chris Okasaki's Edison:
http://www.eecs.usma.edu/Personnel/okasaki/pubs.html#hw00
--
-- Johannes Waldmann,  Tel/Fax: (0341) 3076 6479 / 6480 --
------ http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ ---------