Haskell for non-Haskell's sake

Andrey Dadakov adadakov@awaresw.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 02:17:17 -0700

We are just a software company that builds multi platform (Unix - AIX
Solaris HP-UX Linux, Windows) report generators for various formats,
including Excel and PDF.

Our product is not written in Haskell, but we do all our research by
using Haskell as a prototype language for our ideas.

In our minds, Haskell is the best language you can find now, and we
thought to choose Haskell as a language for all our projects. But we
decided not to do so because of couple things:

1. The language runtime that we have to include in every our projects
2. The language does still lack many useful libraries, like database
access, which are essentials for any business development.

Thanks,

Andrey Dadakov
adadakov@awaresw.com
Aware Software, Inc
http://www.awaresw.com

-----Original Message-----
From: haskell-admin@haskell.org [mailto:haskell-admin@haskell.org] On
Behalf Of Hal Daume III
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 5:39 PM
To: Haskell Mailing List
Subject: Haskell for non-Haskell's sake

Hi fellow Haskellers,

I'm attempting to get a sense of the topology of the Haskell
community.  Based on the Haskell Communities & Activities reports, it
seems that the large majority of people use Haskell for Haskell's sake.

If you use Haskell for a purpose *other than* one of those listed below,
I'd love to hear.  I don't need a long report, anything from a simple "I
do" to a paragraph would be fine, and if you want to remain anonymous
that's fine, too.

Purposes which I consider "Haskell for Haskell's sake" include:

  - writing Haskell compilers/interpreters
  - developing libraries for Haskell
  - writing Haskell debuggers, tracers, profilers or other tools
  - more or less anything with matches /.*Haskell.*/, other than
    /in Haskell$/   :)

Thanks,

 - Hal

--