POSIX enviornment standard?

John Meacham john@repetae.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:20:59 -0700

I was wondering if perhaps there was a need for a standard (or at least
documentation for all the major compilers) on how one can expect the
haskell runtime to interact with the OS enviornment?

in particular, questions which I can think of which I would like
answered (for POSIX systems, I imagine Win32 would have a seperate set
of concerns) are:

SIGPIPE, does it kill the process or is it ignored and an IO exception
is raised? I would prefer to be able to count on the second behavior.

is setlocale(LC_ALL,"") called before main to initialize locale?

is SIGALRM safe to use or is it reserved for the haskell implementation?

is the full path of the program stored in $_ ?

is argv[0] modified in place? (ghc appears to do so brokenly on linux at
the moment)

There are probably more, Perhaps some sort of document listing such
concerns for a given enviornment stating that compilers should document
their behavior (or specify a specific behavior when appropriate) and
perhaps set some #defines based on them?
        John

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john@foo.net