Extracting values from several data constructors

Ralf Laemmel Ralf.Laemmel@cwi.nl
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:10:18 +0200

Would you mind to become a bit more generic?
The following works with the gmap combinators.

-- Find an immediate subterm of type y given a subterm of type x
findOne :: (Term x, Term y) => x -> Maybe y
findOne =   singleton
          . foldl unJust []
          . gmapQ (Nothing `mkQ` Just)
 where
  unJust l (Just x) = x:l
  unJust l Nothing  = l
  singleton [s] = Just s
  singleton _   = Nothing

(That is, we map over all the immediate subterms
to select all entities of type y. Then,
we fold over this list of maybes to reduce
it to a list of y's. Then, we insist on
a singleton list for the sake of an unambiguous
solution.)

For details:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/Strafunski/gmap/

Ralf