FW: Library infrastructure

Yoann Padioleau Yoann.Padioleau@irisa.fr
22 Apr 2003 16:21:36 +0200

"Simon Peyton-Jones" <simonpj@microsoft.com> writes:

> Gentle Haskellers
>
> Haskell has now got a decent, hierarchical module system, supported by
> GHC, Hugs and NHC, and the library structure is now quite well
> populated.  For example, here are the "base" libraries shipped with GHC
> (similar libraries come with Hugs and Nhc):
> 	http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/base/index.html
>
> Languages flourish when libraries are plentiful, reliable, and well
> documented.  In an open-source community like the Haskell community,
> plentiful libraries depend on contributions from the community.
>
> 	The difficulty is that it is currently not obvious what Joe
> Programmer
> 	should do to contribute a library to the community.
>
> 	I think this difficulty is a major obstacle to Haskell's
> progress,
> 	perhaps even the largest single obstacle today.

I always find cvs difficult to use, why not put a wiki website for the
library code  where everyone could *easily* contribute.
There needs some control, but simply not allowing a user to add some code
that does not compile can do the tricks.

--
          Yoann  Padioleau,  INSA de Rennes, France,
Opinions expressed here are only mine. Je n'écris qu'à titre personnel.