Haskell 98: Behaviour of hClose

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:21:32 +0100

On the matter of echoing, in Section 7.1 there seem to be two
possibilities:

1.  Delete the sentence "By default, these input functions echo to
standard output." altogether.

2.  Replace the sentence by=20
	If the standard input (stdin) is a terminal device,=20
	any input on stdin is normally echoed on that device,
	unless the operating system or environment has disabled
	such echoing.

My original inclination was for (2), so that Joe's first program will
always work.  However, Glynn and Ross and Ferenc all favour (1).
Virtually no one has said anything else.

I therefore propose to adopt (1).  It's clear that (2) is leading into a
swamp of caveats which we just do not have time to resolve.  Any
implementation will probably do something sensible (i.e. behave like
other languages).

Simon