Haskell 98: Behaviour of hClose

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:04:42 +0100

What I intended was
	a simple interactive Haskell program should behave the same=20
	on any OS/environment

What you and Ross seem to be saying is
	no, the behaviour of the program can, and should, depend=20
	on the OS/environment

If that's the consensus I'll happily leave echoing behaviour
unspecified. Remember, that means that a conforming implementation can
do whatever it pleases, and hence it's impossible to write a portable
interactive Haskell program.  Is that you what you intend?

It's really a pain that this has come up so late in the day.

Simon

|=20
| Ross Paterson <ross@soi.city.ac.uk> writes:
|=20
| > So I favour deletion of the offending sentence, leaving
| > this as an environment-dependency.
|=20
| I second that.  I came to Haskell after many other
| programming languages, and was VERY surprised by echo
| behaviour.  I vote for consistency with long-standing
| standards (C library, every other language) and versatility
| (echo and buffering determined by environment -- it should
| be configured to also run non-Haskell programs, after all).
|=20