deriving Enum vs. deriving Bounded

Johannes Waldmann joe@isun.informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:33:48 +0200 (MET DST)

What is the rationale for not allowing `deriving Enum'
for data types with a single unary constructor;
while `deriving Bounded' is allowed in this case.

Oh I see, deriving Bounded is allowed even for a single k-ary constructor,
but the Report probably didn't want to fix
an order of enumeration for the argument tuples.

But then, why is `deriving Ord' allowed in this case :-)
as it also refers to the fixed order of arguments.

I don't intend to change anything here, I just want to understand
the decision made in the Report. I'm sure this issue (and many others)
must have been discussed - are the arguments archived somewhere?

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann ---- http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~joe/ --
-- joe@informatik.uni-leipzig.de -- phone/fax (+49) 341 9732 204/207 --