precedence bug with derived instances

Dean Herington heringto@cs.unc.edu
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:58:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Some last-ditch H98 stuff.  I have the proofs now and have to send them
> back this week.  Changes will become impossible (or at least much
> harder) after that.  Ah well, I'm sure more errors will come to light.
>
> Simon

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > I can't think why not, unless there is a shorter valid parse, which
> | > suppose is conceivable.  I'd rather not change this.
> |
> | In fact, neither rule above is true for the example given in section
> D.5.
> | To see this, run the following program:
> |
> | infix 5 :^:
> | data Tree a = Leaf a | Tree a :^: Tree a deriving (Eq, Ord, Read,
> Show)
> | main = mapM_ trial [0..10]
> |  where trial d = print (readsPrec d (showsPrec d x "") :: [(Tree Int,
> | String)])
> |        x = Leaf 1 :^: Leaf 2
>
> Uh huh.  For
>
> 	readsPrec 0 "Leaf 1 :^: Leaf 2"
> we get
> 	[(Leaf 1, " :^ Leaf 2"),
> 	 (Leaf1 :^: Leaf 2, "")]
>
> That is, there are two parses, and the shortest parse comes first.  Same
> is true for Hugs.  Not unreasonable, actually, and nothing in the
> specification seems to preclude this.
>

> I can only make minimal changes now.  I suspect the smallest change is
> to require that
> 	(x,"")  `elem`  readsPrec d (showsPrec d x "")
>
> This weakens the existing equation by not requiring (x,"") to be the
> first parse returned.
>
> Dean writes:
> | Perhaps we want:
> |
> | readsPrec should be able to parse the string produced by showsPrec,
> and
> | should deliver the value that showsPrec started with.  That is, the
> list
> | result of
> |
> |     readsPrec d (showsPrec d x "")
> |
> | should contain exactly one pair whose second element is "", and the
> first
> | element of that pair should be equivalent to x.
>
> I don't understand this.  What does "equivalent" mean?  And how does
> this differ from the (incorrect) claim that
>
> 	     readsPrec d (showsPrec d x "") == [(x,"")]
>
> Simon

As Christian Sievers pointed out:

1. We want to require that there be exactly one complete parse.
2. It is not necessary that the type in question partake of Eq.

If we're willing to accept the abuse of the (==) notation, I think his
expression of the rule (involving a list comprehension) is fine.

 -- Dean