Yampa 0.9 released

nilsson@cs.yale.edu nilsson@cs.yale.edu
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:38:58 -0400

We are pleased to announce the first official release of

                                Yampa
         An implementation of Functional Reactive Programming
                             Version 0.9

Yampa is the culmination of our efforts to provide domain-specific
embedded languages for the programming of hybrid systems using the
concepts of functional reactive programming (FRP).  Yampa is
structured using *arrows*, which greatly reduce the chance of
introducing space- and time-leaks into reactive, time-varying
systems.

This release contains the following major components:

* The Yampa Base Library, containing generic functions for the
  expression of continuous behaviors, discrete events, and the
  interactions between behaviors and events.

* The Yampa Robotics Library, containing entities tailored for
  controlling mobile robots, both real and simulated, in the style of
  Frob, our FRP-based robotics language.  The simulator is written using
  Yampa's Base and HGL, and performs physical modelling
  of mobile differential-drive robots equipped with several kinds of
  sensors.  A pre-configured version of the simulator allows one to play
  RoboCup Soccer.

Note: With the Base Library and HGL (or any other graphics library),
it is easy to write reactive animation programs in the style of Fran.
Thus there is no need for a special library to support graphics and
animation.

For information on down-loading Yampa, please visit the Yampa website at:

    http://www.haskell.org/yampa

There is also a Yampa mailing list. To subscribe, point your browser at:

YaMPA doesn't really mean anything, but this work started at Yale,
ended with Arrows, and had Much Programming in the middle.  Yampa is
also a river in Colorado that combines continuous, placid sections
with an occasional abrupt transition - a perfect metaphor for hybrid
systems.

The Yale Haskell Group
http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/yale

--