You can finally run your Chameleon programs!

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:33:55 +0100

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:46:56 -0500
"David Bergman" <davidb@home.se> wrote:

> Vincenzo,
>
> I agree with your feeling of the expressive superiority of functional
> programming compared to C and even C++, although I would not use the
> word "hell" ;-)

Just because you are not using wxwin and PREPROCESSOR BASED MESSAGE
PASSING! :PPP

I hope there are no wxwin developers on this list, but if there are,
really, please understand me :) Note that I consider wxwin itself really
good (it's worth using it if you get a program that works on macos,
windows and linux with 0.1 effort), but there are things in C++ that are
not so good at all.

besides, OO programming brings too much syntax and too few semantics in
my opinion (consider the syntactical mess of deriving a class just to
get a different behaviour in response to an event, compared to an
expression of type "IO a"), but I am compelled to use C++ this time so I
call that "hell".

> The reason that I bring this up is because I have implemented a
> Haskell Prelude-like library for me and my development team in those
> "hellish" cases where we need to express our ideas in C++, in that way
> promoting the "declarative, abstract and typed" thought patterns to
> the regular developer.

Thanks, maybe my real troubles come from the fact that I am now used to
haskell and ocaml, and not from C++ in itself.

Vincenzo