Functional dependencies and Constructor Classes

Martin Sulzmann sulzmann@comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:26:55 +0800 (GMT-8)

Yoann Padioleau writes:
 > nevertheless i found constructor class more elegant for many problems.
 > Your solution is less elegant that the one using constructor classes.

Yes, the current presentation of constructor classes might be easier
to comprehend.

 > I found too that type error messages of class using functionnal depedencies
 > are not easy to read. There is often ambiguity in code that are not easy to solver.
 > this problem does not appear with constructor classes.

Well, that's the point of my encoding of functors using FD's. No
ambiguities will arise!

The issue I want to raise is whether constructor classes are redundant
in the presence of FDs (yes, yes, we still might want to stick to the
constructor class representation, but that's a different issue).

Martin