HC&A Report: "Haskell 98 Report" copyright

Ian Lynagh igloo@earth.li
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:19:03 +0000

Hi all,

I note with some sadness the more restrictive license that may be placed
on the "Haskell 98 Report", as reported by the HC&A. The great
openness/freeness of haskell, both the report and implementations, is,
IMO, one of its most important features.

I have just grabbed a copy of the latest revised report under the
current licence. AIUI I can continue to publish this under the current
licence and, assuming I change the name, incorporate any fixes etc
(assuming the fixers agree to it). Also, Debian can continue to have a
copy in main in the same way.

I would really prefer it if such forking wasn't necessary, but if the
above is the case (I am not a lawyer, etc etc) then I guess it isn't the
end of the world - I must admit to not seeing what CUP would be getting
out of it if this is so, though.

Ian