Hugs plugin, Haskell Browser

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:10:03 +1100

Max Kirillov <max630@mail.ru> wrote,

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:05:34PM +1100, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> > Again, XEmacs with the above mentioned Haskell mode can do
> > it.  Just execute the function `htmlize-buffer' on a buffer
> > containing the Haskell source.  As an example for the
> > generated output, have a look at
> >
> >   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/gtk/BoolEd.html
> >
> > The detailed choice of colours is, of course, adjustable.
> > At least on a Unix machine, I am quite sure you can use
> > XEmacs also in batch mode to generate the HTML (eg, as part
> > of a Makefile), but I haven't actually used it that way yet.
>
> 1. Why CSS?

CSS is fine, ...

> Why did I need to enable Java in my Netscape to
> see the colours? Man, it's just to _indent_ and _paint_!

it is Netscape which is rotten ;-)

There is no reason in a Web browser to have to activate
extra languages to implement CSS...except bad software
design.  I'd suggest to get a proper browser like Mozilla

  http://mozilla.org/

or Galeon

  http://galeon.sourceforge.net/

(I particularly like the latter.)

(Switching on JavaScript is sufficient, btw.)

> 2. When I hear "translate to HTML" I imagine that underlined
> words which can be clicked to see, say, definition of
> function. Sadly, most htmlizers are focused on highlighting
> rather than navigation. The good news is that could be
> simply cured with postprocessing of the resulting html file
> using tags file.  There are several tags generators for
> haskell, both for vim and emacs (ghc distribution contains 2
> of them). So the problem can be "reduced to the already
> seen".

It depends what you want.  A tool which cross-references
variable occurences, I would call a cross reference tool
rather than an HTML pretty-printer.

Cheers,
Manuel