getProtocolByName

Finn Wilcox finnw@iname.com
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 09:30:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 dominic.j.steinitz@britishairways.com wrote:

> Here's my test program. TCP is a valid protocol. But I get the following
> when I run it. I'm running under W98 by the way. I have two questions:
>
> 1) Why do I get an error?

You want:
> module Main(main) where
>
> import BSD
  import Socket (withSocketsDo)

> main =
     withSocketsDo $

See http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/set/socket.html#AEN14601

> 2) Even if this is a valid error why doesn't the function tell me so that I
> can handle it rather than terminating?

It is a valid error.  It is raising an exception which you can catch if you
want. e.g.

import IO (catch, isDoesNotExistError)
   catch (do protocolEntry <- getProtocolByName "TCP"
             putStrLn ("Protocol name:" ++ (protoName protocolEntry)))
         (\e -> if isDoesNotExistError e then
                   putStrLn "Error" else
                   ioError e)

Finn.