[Fwd: F#]

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 02:20:02 -0700

At 2002-05-31 12:48, Don Syme wrote:

>One point is that in the absence of extensive purity annotations to
>imperative libraries you will need to use monads for operations that
>shouldn't need them.

But these cases are surely quite rare? In my experience, if it really is
pure, chances are Haskell can do it by itself and you don't need a
function in the library to do it.

Perhaps there are exceptions for maths libraries.

It seems to me the simplest thing for foreign libraries is to make all
calls monadic. Certainly I do this in JVM-Bridge, all raw FFI calls are
in the IO monad and I don't use "unsafe" anything anywhere. There are no
particular "pure" Java library functions that are worth making an
exception for.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA