Hugs for MacOS X

Lyndon While lyndon@cs.uwa.edu.au
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:16:17 +0800

At The University of Western Australia, we use Hugs 98 on Macintoshes
to teach Foundations of Computer Science to approximately 300
first-year students
(http://undergraduate.cs.uwa.edu.au/courses/230.123). Currently we
use Hugs 98 on MacOS 8.6. We're likely to change to MacOS X for 2003,
and we're likely to continue using Hugs 98 on that platform.

We are considering applying to the Apple University Development Fund
for support to build an integrated development environment for MacOS
X based on the (already-ported) Hugs engine. We're not thinking of a
huge project: probably initially we will build something roughly like
the MacGofer environment (those were the days!), with an integrated
editor, command-line editing, colour-coded syntax a la the
Haskell-mode in emacs, etc. With the size (and general naivety) of
the class, the initial emphasis will be on reliability.

My questions are:

1.	Would this be of interest to other groups who use Hugs on Macintoshes?
	(Statements of interest may increase our chances of success with AUDF.)

2.	Is anyone working on this sort of environment already?

3.	Does anyone know any reason that this sort of endeavour might be
	harder than we expect?

Thanks for any input.
--
Dr. Lyndon While

--------
Email  - lyndon@cs.uwa.edu.au                        ,-_|\
Phone  - +61 8 9380 2720                            /     \
Fax    - +61 8 9380 1089                            *_,-._/
Web    - http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~lyndon                v