Unicode again

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:44:07 -0800

| there was some discussion about Unicode and the Char type=20
| some time ago. At the moment I'm writing some Haskell code=20
| dealing with XML. The problem is that there seems to be no=20
| consensus concerning Char so that it is difficult for me to=20
| deal with the XML unicode issues appropriately. Is there any=20
| option that is very likely to get into the Haskell report?=20

There was an extended discussion on the Haskell mailing list
about Unicode and the Haskell report, which you can find in the=20
mailling list archives.   So far as Haskell 98 is concerned, the
conclusion seems to be that there is no prospect of H98 handling
Unicode "properly", so the report should avoid making premature
commitments that would limit a future design.

Check out the current draft at=20
	http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/haskell98-revised

I'm very ignorant of Unicode, but maybe the others on the mailing
list who contributed to the discussion can amplify.

In any case, I am not going to make significant changes
to the H98 Report at this stage, I'm afraid.

Simon