Programming style question

Mark P Jones mpj@cse.ogi.edu
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:01:18 -0800

Hi Adrian,

| Ah, now I see the issue seems to be closeley related to
| full lazy lambda lifting.

That's right ...

| Do (should) Haskell compilers do this, as a general rule?
| It all seems bit vague to me :-(

I don't think they do, and I'm not sure they should
because the transformation can, in some circumstances,
result in a space leak.  It would probably be better to
specify this aspect of the language semantics more
precisely in the language report but I think there are
some open problems with the theory that would need to be
addressed first.  (e.g., how do you give a semantics for
Haskell that reflects expected/required implementation
behavior will also being abstract enough in accounting
for space usage?)

All the best,
Mark