differentiation. Reply

S.D.Mechveliani mechvel@math.botik.ru
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:50:46 +0300

Zhe Fu <fuzhezheng@hotmail.com>  writes

> Is there any built-in functions in Haskell to implement
> diffential operation and partial diffential operation?
> Or can anyone give me some advices about how to implement them
> with Haskell? Thanks.

There are no differential operators in Haskell-98 standard library,
nor even polynomial arithmetic.
Very probably, there exist application programs treating
differential operators. Try to search in  http://www.haskell.org

If you are going to implement differential operators,
try first to implement, for example, polynomial multiplication.
After this, differentiation would not look hard.
But it depends on what one wants to differentiate, one has to
formulate first what kind of expressions are supposed to be
differentiated.

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel@botik.ru